If you really dislike the name, in this article we will see how to change the name of Alexa. Amazon Echo is a smart speaker operated by Alexa, your voice-activated virtual personal assistant. There are so many things you can do with the Amazon Echo.
You can tell Alexa to play music, create to-do lists, set alarms, play audiobooks, broadcast podcasts, and receive news, traffic, and weather information.
But if you don’t like saying the Alexa name every time you need it, then in this article we explain how to change your Alexa name. Here’s customize Alexa and rename Amazon Echo devices using a free app.
How to rename Alexa using the Alexa app
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile or tablet. You can also go to alexa.amazon.com if you are using a computer.
- Tap the menu button located in the upper left corner. This is the icon with the three horizontal lines.
- Select “Settings”, then “Device Settings”.
- In the menu, select the Echo device you want to edit.
- From the list of options, scroll down until you see “Wake Word”.
- Tap it and you will be given new name options.
- Tap the new name you want to use to wake your device. You can only choose between “Amazon”, “Computer” or “Eco”.
If you have other Echo devices, follow the steps above to rename Amazon Echo devices as well. You can also change Alexa’s name on your Amazon Echo device without having to log into the app. Here’s how to change Alexa’s name just using your voice.
How to change Alexa’s name without the Alexa app
- Ask: “Alexa, can we change your name?”
- Alexa will ask you to choose a new word. You can set the new name as “Amazon”, “Computer” or “Eco”.
- Finally, respond by saying the new name you prefer.
Note: This process will take a few seconds. You can still use the old wake word until the device updates.
Alexa isn’t just used for Echo devices. The smart assistant is also available for Fire, 4th generation, and newer tablets. You can change Alexa’s name to “Amazon” on Fire tablets by following the steps below.
How do you change Alexa’s name on Fire tablet
- Make sure Alexa Hands-Free is enabled on your tablet.
- Swipe down from the top on the tablet home screen.
- Tap Settings. This is the icon with the gear design.
- Select Alexa and then select Wake Word.
- Tap on Amazon to change its name.
Note: To change the Amazon Echo name, the device must be connected to the Internet. Make sure it’s connected to your Wi-Fi before making any changes.